There are SO many reasons that I’m excited to return to England (having spent a year abroad there during undergrad), but here are some highlights of what I can’t wait to return to! –
1. English sport culture! Really, who knows the rules of cricket? Also, I’m a die-hard soccer (sorry, footbol) fan, so I can’t wait to be in a country that lives & breathes it! Oh, and rugby – must learn to love that, too! Here I am at a rugby game last year in Bath, England.
2. Rowing culture. Do I even have to mention the fact that rowing is a way of life there, too? Match made in heaven.
3. The History. It’s mind-blowing to be at a university whose buildings are so much older than the founding of your native country. Seriously, I would walk past buildings form the 1300 and 1400s in Oxford, every single day. Likewise in Cambridge. It’s wonderful to be surrounded by so much (beautiful) history.
4. Pub Life! I love the casual drinking with friends culture (rather than the ‘party party party’ culture perpetuated in the States). Pubs also have delicious food, my favorite being meat pies. Delicious. Oh, and they’re all so cute and usually old-as-all-else. They’re perfect for people watching, too.
5. Fancy balls! Oxford and Cambridge boast some incredible balls throughout the year, culminating in astounding spring balls. They all have great themes, abounding food and drink, and awesome company. And who really doesn’t love an excuse to dress up?
6. Punting. The coolest way to pass time in the nicer months of the year, and a great place for a picnic. You already know my love of boats.
7. The accents. Sure, I’ve been dating a Brit for quite awhile, but the accent absolutely never gets old. How can it? I also the range of accents, from South to North, England. They vary so much! I was once very good at distinguishing regional accents, so I hope that I get that back! I always love some of their phrases (‘brilliant,’ ‘bugger,’ ‘banter,’ anyone?).
Nearly the 5 week count-down until I move to England!