Or, in my case, the 8-to-4.
The lovely 8-hour work day in a cubicle that will kill every ounce of energy you thought you had for working out, getting things accomplished, cooking a great dinner, etc etc etc.
Here’s how I deal with the temptation to simply pass out on my couch after a long day at work….
- Make sure to stand/walk around at least once per hour (it’s usually more). Since I have terrible joints, this helps me physicaly, but it also helps me to mentally settle down for a few minutes and reconvene.
- Schedule your appointment to workout as if it’s a very important meeting. I have ‘gym’ pencilled into my calendar on the days that I intend to workout.
- Prepare for success. If I don’t pack a healthy breakfast, lunch and snack, I’ll eat the crap that’s put out in the office. If I don’t pack my gym clothes and sneaks, I won’t workout. Plan for success!
- Be lenient with yourself. I’m terrible at being self-degrading when I eat a cookie or snack that wasn’t planned for. Sometimes, just let go, but keep it in moderation!
- Eat lunch with friends. Seriously, cubicle eating is the worst, and it kills the mental game. Eat with friends!
How do you deal with it?